National Bike to School Day
Walk or Bike to School Day is the first step to change community culture and to create options for getting around that are more inviting for everyone, both young and old. Reasons to support walking and bicycling to school:
- It’s Fun! Walking and bicycling bring a sense of joy and independence
- Healthier Habits: The trip to school is a chance for children (and adults!) to get the physical activity they need.
- Cleaner Environment: Replacing car trips to school with walking or bicycling can reduce congestion and air-polluting emissions.
- Promoting Safety: Building sidewalks, providing education programs and adding traffic calming measures are some of the ways to improve safety. Encouraging walking and bicycling to school can help build support for infrastructure improvements in the broader community.
- Community Benefits: Reducing traffic congestion, boosting a sense of community, and improving neighborhood connections benefit the community.
As of April 25, 10 schools have signed up to participate.